Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Nani at artist residence: Day 5

By the third day of residence, I realized that a very important of my process for this project was collecting material, researching and interviewing Nani as well as other family members. 

As I had access to the exhibition space next to the library, one morning, in a fit of frenzy, I began hanging up images on the wall. Within minutes, I understood that what I needed to do was to make a visual mind map, some kind of constellation with all of the fragments I had been collecting. 





Seeing everything together on one surface changed my perspective completely. It was the first time since I began this project 4 years ago, that I allowed myself to look back at everything I had done. 
The feeling was overwhelming and quite magical. 




And then there was the magic of being able to draw on the walls, 
which somehow evokes almost the prehistoric necessity to make a mark and communicate something or tell a story.  


All the while, in the library, I continued working on final artworks for Chapter 1. I had occupied the entire table in the library with my photographs, sketches, notebooks, light-box and pencils.


Such a luxury...






Photos by Grassa Toro
La Cala de Chodes






No comments:

Post a Comment